Churmo is one of the Goan sweet. It is crispy and spicy sweet. Churmo is good combination with tea/chai. I made this sweet as a part of Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge . My Partner Avin S Kohli. Her blog name is TheYellowDaal. She gave me two secret ingredients - Wheat flour and Red chili powder.
150 gms wheat flour
1/4 cup Wheat flour for dusting
2 cups Oil for deep frying
For Jaggery syrup
150 gms Jaggery grated
100 ml Water
2 tea spoons Red chilli powder
1 Tablespoon Ghee for plate greasing
For puri :
- In a bowl take wheat flour and water. Make the dough.
- Take the oil in a frying pan. Keep it on a high flame.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls. Dust each ball of dough and roll as thin as possible.
- Check the oil temperature by just dropping in tiny dough in it. If the dough fries and floats up instantly, means the oil is ready.
- Gently place the rolled puri into the hot oil. Just press the puri using frying ladle. The puri becomes crispy. You should not burn the puri.
- Place the puri on paper napkin to absorb excess oil. Repeat for all puri balls.
- Let them cool. After cooling crush the puris with hands.
For jaggery syrup:
- In a pan add jaggery and water. Keep it on a medium heat and allow jaggery to melt. If you strain the jaggery syrup, impurities will go.
- Transfer the syrup to the same pan, allow it to boil for 10 mins or until it becomes thick.
- For thick syrup test : take a drop of syrup using forefinger, just press the forefinger and thumb. If it is sticking to the finger, the syrup is ready.
- Add red chilli powder to the syrup and mix well. Switch of the stove.
- Now add crushed puris to the syrup and mix well.
- Let it cool completely. Store in airtight container.