I am so happy after making the cake. I love so much. I am thankful to Swathi and Sara for sharing this wonderful cake recipe with us. The cake is moist and soft. This recipe is adapted from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 50 to 55 minutes
Cake flour / APF – 2 ¼ cups / 225 gm
Caster sugar – 1 ½ cup + 2 Tsp / 300 gm
Salt – ½ tsp / 3.5 gm
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Lemon zest – 1 to 2 Tsp
Canola oil / Sunflower oil – ½ cup / 108 gm
Large egg yolks – 3 no /130 gm
Water – 2/3 cup / 156 gm (room temperature)
Lemon juice – 2 Tsp / 30 gm
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Cream of tartar – 1 ¼ tsp / 4 gm
Sugar – 2 Tsp
Large egg whites – 7 no / 300 gm
- Preheat oven to 3250F or 1550C. Take the 10 inch tube pan or cup cake tube pan. Don’t grease the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of the sugar and the lemon zest. With your finger tips , mix well until the sugar grainy and aromatic.
- Add the cake flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl. Beat well on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated. You can also do this by hand with a whisk.
- Make a well in the center of the ingredients and add the oil, egg yolks, water, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix for about one minute on medium speed until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- In a second large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat on medium speed until they reach soft peak stage.
- At this stage don’t over beat the eggs. Add the 2 Tsp sugar and continue to beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks when the beaters are raised.
- Using a whisk, add 1/3 of egg whites to your cake batter and gently stir them until they are incorporated.
- Add the remaining egg whites to the batter and very gently fold them into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased pan and run a small metal spatula to prevent air pockets. Bake for 50 – 55 mins or until the cake is baked.
- One cake done, take the cake out of the oven and immediately cool. It can take up to 90 mins.
- Use a cake knife to loosen the sides of the cake away from the tin. Turn the cake tin. Sprinkle with a dusting icing sugar to serve.
- The cake is fresh for 3 days at room temperature, 10 days refrigerated, 2 months frozen.