Monday, January 27, 2014
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Adapted from here
Orange Peels - 2 medium fruits
Sugar - 2 1/2 cups
Water - 2 cups for syrup + more for boiling
Sugar powder - 1 cup
- Wash and pat dry the oranges. Cut the top and bottom of the fruit.
- Slice the outside peel into four pieces. Using the knife, peel the white part from the fruit.
- Cut the peel into thin strips. Add water to the pan and bring it to boil.
- Add the peels to a pan. Boil for 5 mins, then drain and rinse well.
- Repeat this process for 2 more times. Drain the peel and rinse well.
- Now add sugar and 2 cups water to the pan and bring it to boil, stir well.
- When the sugar dissolves, reduce the flame. Add the orange peels. Reduce the flame and leave for 1 to 1 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the orange peels from the syrup and Spread on a plate.
- Now sprinkle the powdered sugar. Toss until evenly coated. Leave on a sheet for 24 hrs.
Note: If you like lemon peels. Do the same process.
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Horse gram / Uluvalu - 1/2 cup
Red chillies dry / yendu mirchi - 7
Curry leaves / karivepaku- 2 strings
Hing a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 to 3 drops
- In a pan dry roast the horse gram until aroma comes out. Transfer it to a plate.
- To the same pan add chillies with oil dry for 1 mins. Transfer it to the same plate.
- Turn off the flame, add curry leaves and mix well. Transfer it to the same plate. Cool it.
- After cooling completely, add all roasted ingredients, hing to the mixi jar and make it as rough powder.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
Gayathri's WTML event
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Milk – 3 cups
Heavy whipping cream – 4 tsp
Mango puree – 1 cup
Chopped dry fruits – ½ cup
Honey - optional
- Boil milk in a vessel. Let them to cool.
- Whip the cream. Add cream, mango puree to the milk. Mix well.
- Add chopped dry fruits and fruits. Keep the salad in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Serve.
Note: Add fruits according to your taste.
Friday, January 3, 2014
Okra / Bendakaya – ½ kg
Broccoli florets – 2 cups
Ginger chopped -5
Chopped onion – ½ cup
Chopped green chilli – 6
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Peanut powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 string
Dry red chillies – 3
Hing – a pinch
Oil – 3 tsp
1) Heat oil in a pan and temper it. Add onion, chillies and saute for 3 mins.
2) Add ginger garlic paste and mix for 3 mins. Add okra, broccoli and cook until soft. Don’t cover
with lid.3) Add chilli powder, peanut powder, cumin powder, salt and mix well. Leave it for 5 mins.
4) Serve with rotis.