Now a day’s everyone likes pizza. Pizza is a flat, round bread. Topped with tomato sauce, vegetables, cheese. It is originally originated from Italy. It turns awesome taste. Thank you so much for Swathi and Archana.
Ingredients for the thin crust
Bread flour / All purpose flour – 22 ½ ounces (about 4 ½ cups + for dusting)
Sugar – 1 ½ Tsp
Salt – 3 tsp
Instant yeast – 2 tsp
Extra virgin olive oil – 3 Tsp
Luke warm water – 15 ounces
Ingredients for New York Style Pizza Sauce
Fresh tomatoes or Whole peeled tomatoes – 4 or 1 can
Extra virgin olive oil – 1 Tsp
Unsalted butter – 1 Tsp
Garlic cloves grated – 2 medium
Dried oregano – 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes – pinch
Salt to taste
Fresh basil leaves attaches – 2 six inch springs
Yellow onion – 1 medium peeled and cut into halves.
Sugar – 1 tsp
According to your choice. I used pepper/capsicum (green, red, yellow, orange), onion, and mushroom.
If you want add meat. Use pre-cooked chicken pieces. It is optional.
Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese grated as you like to choose.
For making the sauce:
- In a mixie/food processor, pulse the tomatoes and make puree.
- It should not be completely smooth, but should have no chunks larger than 1/16 of an inch. Set tomatoes aside.
- In a saucepan, add butter and oil on medium low heat until butter is melted.
- Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and large pinch salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil springs, onion and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook. Stirring occasionally, until reduced by ½, about 1 hour. Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For making the thin pizza crust
- In a bowl or food processor, add flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated if you have food processor or mix with hands.
- Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 – 30 seconds. Those who don’t have food processor, mix with hand mixer or stand mixer or knead it with your hands like chapati dough.
- Sprinkle flour on surface, transfer dough ball and knead well until smooth is formed.
- It should pass the Windowpane test. Divide dough into 3 even parts and place each in a covered container or in a zip lock bag.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least one day to 5 days.
- Remove dough from refrigerator at least two hours before baking. Shape into balls by gathering dough towards bottom and pinching shut.
- Flour well and place each one in a separate medium mixing bowl.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise at warm room temperature until roughly doubled in volume.
For Pizza Cups
- Preheat oven to 4000C.
- Take single dough and divide into balls. Line the muffin pan with silver foil.
- Place each ball in each muffin cup and press it like bowl. Add toppings and cheese.
- Bake it for 4000C for 15 to 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 4000C. Place single dough ball in to lightly flour surface. Gently press out dough into rough 8 inch circle, leaving outer 1 inch higher than the rest.
- Stretch dough into 12 to 14 inch circle about ¼ inch thick. Transfer to pizza pan.
- Spread approximately 2/3 cup of sauce evenly over surface of crust, leaving ½ inch to 1 inch border along edge.
- Add toppings of your choice evenly and sprinkle 1/3 of cheese over sauce evenly.
- Bake until cheese is melted with some browned spots and crust is golden brown and puffed.
- It may take 15 to 20 minutes or depends on oven.
- Transfer to cutting board. Cut into pieces and serve immediately.
Swathi's Baking Partners,
Gayathri's WTML event hosted by Nivedhanams.