Kugelhopf is a yeast cake. It is usually eaten with tea. This cake is filled with veggies. Taste is awesome. Thanks Shobana and Sara for sharing this recipe with us. This month they selected French region.
Adapted from – Tomato Blues
1.5 cups All purpose flour
1 tsp Instant yeast
6 Tsp Warm milk
2 Tsp Curd whisked and at room temp
2 ½ Tsp Unsalted butter softened
1 Tsp Oil
1 Tsp Sugar
½ tsp Salt
For the filling
50 gm Chedder cheese
1 medium onion, chopped into small cubes
1 colored bell pepper, chopped into small cubes
½ zucchini, cut into small cubes
1 tomato, deseeded, cut into small cubes
1 tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
1 tsp thyme or any herb seasoning
Preparing the dough
- In a bowl, add flour (1 cup), salt, sugar and the butter.
- Mix the flour with the butter. The mixture looks crumbly.
- Now add in the warm milk and curd and start mixing, now the dough will be very much sticky. Add the oil and combine them thoroughly. Now add the remaining flour and mix well.
- If you are mixing with hand, knead the dough for 4 to 5 minutes until smooth.
- Cover and keep it in a warm place for an hour to double in size.
For the filling
- In a tsp oil, saute onions with a pinch of salt until sweet and caramelized.
- Transfer it to a separate bowl. To the same pan add tomato just for few seconds and remove them to the bowl.
- Add bell pepper with the red chilli flakes, salt and cook them for a couple of minutes. So that it remains crisp.
- At last add in the zucchini with little bit of salt and cook until it is half way cooked.
- Transfer everything to the bowl and add pepper powder, salt, cheese and the herbs. Mix well and set aside.
Forming the log
- Once the dough has raisen, punch them well until the air out.
- Roll them to form a rectangle and spread the veggie filling evenly over the top.
- Roll them from the top to form a log. Now place the log in the greased pan and spread it.
- Keep it in a warm place for the second rise for 30 minutes.
Baking the Kugelhopf
- Pre heat the oven to 2000C for 5 minutes.
- Place the rise dough in a oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Keep it aside for 3 minutes and serve.