This month challenge is Bavarian cuisine from German hosted by Sara (www.sarasyummybites.com). Thank you Sara for sharing these recipes with us. I tried pancakes. It really tasted good.
Adapted from here.
4-6 Russet or 6-8 Red potatoes
1 medium or large onion
1 tbsp olive oil + more for frying
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 whole egg + 1 egg white
(If your potatoes are very large, add another egg white)
2-3 tbsp flour
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Spread out a large muslin cloth.
- Pick up the four corners, then hold the edges. Twist the towel and squeeze the potatoes. Continue twisting and squeezing until the potatoes feel dry to touch when you open the towel.
- Grate and squeeze the onion in the same way.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Grab about 1/2 cup of mixture and roll into a ball.
- Flatten ball into a patty and fry on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with warm applesauce or tomato sauce.