This is wonderful challenge from Baking Group. Here we learn more about baking. This month Swathi gave Preparing bread by using two methods. I choose Scalded method. It is the softy and perfect bread. After baking the bread, it is finished within 1 hour. My son asked me I want some more. Thank you Swathi for sharing such a wonderful recipe with us.
Adapted from Cornercafe
Bread flour/All purpose flour(APF) – 100 gm
Boiling water – 100 ml
Bread flour – 350 gm
Milk – 25 ml
Caster Sugar – 35 gm
Salt – 5 gm (1 tsp)
Instant Yeast – 8 gm
Lukewarm water, adjust as necessary – 200 ml (approx)
Butter, chopped into small pieces at room temperature – 35 g
Dates chopped – 5Almonds chopped – 10
- Take APF in a bowl, pour boiling hot water and stir quickly until combined with no more visible dry flour.
- It should be a clumpy dough mixture.
- Set aside for 5 minutes without covering.
- After 5 minutes cover with cling film and let cool to room temperature for 30 mins – 1 hour.
For the Main Dough
- Prepare a loaf tin.
- Sift bread flour/APF, sugar and salt onto the working surface.
- Add instant dry yeast and mix well. From the flour into a well.
- At this stage, add scalded flour mixture, and then add enough lukewarm water little by little to form into slightly sticky, soft dough.
- Knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
- During hand kneading, the dough also needs to be thrown onto the working surface once every few minutes between kneading to improve the dough structure. (I usually pick up the dough to about head – high and throw it down onto the working surface 10 -20 times every few minutes between kneading.)
- Knead in butter until incorporated.
- From the dough into a round ball and let it rise until double in size in a large greased bowl, cover with cling film.
- It should be about 1 hour in warm water, longer in winter months.
- To taste the dough, dip a finger into the center of the bread and remove the finger.
- If the hole should remain it is ready.
- Punch down, knead briefly and form into a ball shape. Then let rest for 15 mins.
- With a rolling pin, roll out into a long oval shape. Then roll up from the short end like a Swiss roll.
- Rest for 10 mins and repeat the rolling process,
- At the last rolling process add chopped dates and dates. then place the roll –up dough into the tin.
- Cover loosely and rise until the dough has risen to almost the top of the tin.
- Bake in preheated 3500F for 30 to 35 mins or until golden brown.